As the excitement of the Melbourne Cup weekend fades and exam season is well & truly underway, it’s time to consider summer holiday jobs for school and university students.
While I have absolute respect for the cashiers in our supermarkets I think that if I were a student again, I’d want to explore further afield for a summer working experience. Lots of fresh air & sunshine are my preferences. Here are my top eight (plus one) picks for a more interesting way to earn money this summer:
- Work at a zoo! Zoos need many hands to look after the animals and visitors every day – drive & be a tour guide on a safari bus at Werribee Zoo in Victoria or begin an internship at Australia Zoo in Queensland. Check in with your local zoo to see how you can help.
- Work with your sports club to instruct junior kids in your chosen sport eg. Karate, football, volleyball, etc. Obviously, this is only possible if you have a track record in the sport!
- On the same theme – work as a life guard. If you’re not near a beach or don’t like the sea, choose an outdoor swim complex with grass and trees around the pools to reduce the glare of the water.
- Get together with friends to form a holiday-busking-band. All that practicing will keep you busy for hours, the hours are flexible and it’s lucrative work (so I’m told) assuming you sound good!
- Be an usher at a major events stadium. You would get to enjoy many concerts, games and rallies while being paid!
- Head out beyond the city limits to where the fruit is ripening. Harvest time is coming….
- If retail is your thing, consider enlisting to become a mystery shopper.
- If you’d like to add in a bit of travelling, why not consider staying & working for your board & lodging at an organic farm. Check out World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms’ website (www.wwoof.com).
- Finally, Volunteering Outdoors – many worthy projects rely on volunteers to rejuvenate gardens / buildings. Why not consider doing something like this in amongst your paid work – even if only for a week or two?
Remember that a rich life is full of different experiences. See what other innovative ideas you can come up with to fill the summer months following your exams. There’s so much more to a holiday job than scanning and packing people’s shopping!